Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Cartoon Cave: Ricci Martin

Hey pallies, likes today's post comes from our talented cartoonist pallie Mr. Pete Emslie and his fun blog "The Cartoon Cave." A few ago our pallie Pete took a great deal of time to respond to one of the Dino-posts here askin' the provocative quire...
"Who had more talent frank sinatra or dean martin?" Wanna first sez my thanks to Pete for insightful and passion response...and likes if you haven't read it yet, I certainly woulda 'ncourage you to goes back to the July 12 Dino-gram to likes do so.

Today's post from "The Cartoon Cave" (clicks on tagg of this Dino-gram to goes there) shares a great pix of our pallie Pete and our Dino's boypallie Ricci together after a perform of Ricci's Dino-trib where Pete got to meet and greet Ricci and give Ricci his stellar Dino-toon that Emslie created of our beloved Dino.

How timely is this Dino-event considerin' that ilovedinomartin just put the accent on Ricci this past Dino-week as Ricci shared his Dino-groove with Festa Italiana in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. btw pallies, any of you dudes gets the opportunity to catch Ricci durin' the fest?

Thanks Mr. Pete Emslie for sharin' your Ricci encounter with us and glads to know your great impression of Ricci and his amore trib of his Daddy-o! Dino-embracin', DMP
Saturday, July 17,

Ricci Martin



A few weeks ago I put up a few pics taken on my vacation in Las Vegas with my Mom. We saw three shows while we were there, but only one of them I quite liked, the other two I found a bit disappointing. These were smaller shows, not featuring the big name headliners. Although in my opinion, Vegas headliners sure aren't what they used to be, as I really had no great inclination to see any of the name performers who are currently playing there. I sure do wish I'd seen Vegas back in the day when Frank, Dean, Sammy and all of their contemporaries held court. I reckon I was born too late.

Ironically, though, just several days after returning home from vacation, Mom and I went to see an entertainer at Mississauga's Stage West dinner theatre that would be a terrific choice to see headlining a show in Vegas. Ricci Martin is the son of Dean Martin, and for a few years now he has been doing a really lovely tribute to his famous Dad on stage, singing many of Dean's big hits accompanied by a small band. Don't misunderstand, though, as he's not attempting to impersonate his Dad in any way, like you see in those Rat Pack tribute shows. Ricci is blessed with a fine singing voice that is uniquely his own, and so his interpretations of Dean's songs are not trying to compete with his memory.

This was the third time that Ricci had performed here, and so I've also gotten to know Tony Busseri of ARB Productions who is the fellow who has brought in not only Ricci Martin, but other terrific performers I've gotten to see like Bobby Rydell and the legendary Al Martino. Thanks to the generosity of Tony and his business partner Stan, I was able to go backstage after the show to present Ricci with the caricature I did last year of his Dad. I know Ricci was quite thrilled with the gift and was kind enough to pose with me for a photo. We were able to chat for awhile about Dean, Frank and that Golden Age of entertainment that I love so well. I really hope Ricci will come back to perform for us again here in Mississauga, and I heartily recommend his show if he plays in your area too!

2 comments:

Jojobean said...

I actually took this photo! Caught Ricci in both Milwaukee and the Canada dates fun stuff!

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, thanks for sharin' that Dino-detail pallie...and how cool is that...sure Ricci enjoys havin' pallies like you groovin' on his Dino-show....