Monday, August 09, 2010

Sunday in the '60s: Who Was That Lady? (1960)

Hey pallies, likes I can't begin to tells you the immense pleasure it is when likes I gets to share some pure Dino-devotion written by a follower of ilovedinomartin right here at our humble little Dino-blog. Today's Dino-devotion comes from our pallie Miss Amanda Copper and her blog "Noodle In A Haystack" (clicks on tagg of this Dino-post to goes there.

Miss Cooper has chosen a Dino-classic flick, "Who Was That Lady" do a review on for her "Sunday in the 60's" blogg feature. Miss Cooper's passion for our Dino openly expressed in these Dino-thoughts....

"Dean Martin is awesome. I seriously need to see more of his movies (I always say that don't I?). He's a brilliant comedian, and he steals a bunch of scenes right out from under Tony Curtis' feet. That's quite an accomplishment, you know. So let's just get it out there and all agree that Dino is one cool specimen of the star species. Granted, his character seems to know only one song (the title tune), but who's complaining? It doesn't get old, it's catchy (it was running through my head all of yesterday), and Martin is too cool to give anyone a chance to get tired of it."

It is so refreshin' to encounter such unbridled words of Dino-love from the lovely Miss Amanda. We does likes to say words of Dino-appreciato to Miss Amanda Cooper for liftin' up the name of our Dino through her review of "Who Was That Lady." And likes we totally totally agree with her thoughts..."I seriously need to see more of his movies." Indeed all lovers of our Dino need to continue to immerse themselves in all thin's Dino. Dino-devotedly, DMP



Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sunday in the '60s: Who Was That Lady? (1960)


First off: Apologies for not posting last Sunday, but, hey, it's been five weeks since I announced this new series and I've only missed once? I call that a pretty good record (for me anyway). Besides, I have a good excuse. Moving on to the review.



There are so many things I want to say about Who Was That Lady? Where oh where to begin? Well, I guess I should start with the most obvious: the cast.

Dean Martin is awesome. I seriously need to see more of his movies (I always say that don't I?). He's a brilliant comedian, and he steals a bunch of scenes right out from under Tony Curtis' feet. That's quite an accomplishment, you know. So let's just get it out there and all agree that Dino is one cool specimen of the star species. Granted, his character seems to know only one song (the title tune), but who's complaining? It doesn't get old, it's catchy (it was running through my head all of yesterday), and Martin is too cool to give anyone a chance to get tired of it.

As you should know by now (and if you don't, it's about time you found out), Tony Curtis is one of my favorite actors. I think I like him even better than Gary Cooper. Curtis and Martin make a great comedy duo: they seem to feed off each other's energy. The scene when they're trying to sink the Empire State Building is too hilarious to describe. You really have to see it to believe it.

Janet Leigh: another favorite I need to see more of. Her character: how could anyone possibly be that dumb? Oh well, it makes for good comedy. By the way, I'm truly envious of one of her dresses in this film: the black one that she's wearing when Curtis gives her the pearl necklace is gorgeous. G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S. Gorgeous. That dress is really something else.



Okay, maybe I should say something about the story because, after all, this is supposed to be a movie review, not a fashion show. The movie starts out when Ann Wilson (Leigh) walks in on her husband, David (Curtis), as he's being kissed by a foreign exchange student. (He's a professor at Columbia University.) Next thing you know, she's packing for Reno. And really, who can blame her? Well, David panics (again, who can blame him?) and calls his best friend, Mike Haney (Martin), looking for help. After some pleading and not-so-subtle flattery by David, Mike (who is a screenwriter for CBS) helps him work up a story meant to keep Ann from learning the truth: David is an FBI agent. Mike supplies the gun and FBI ID card via the prop department. From there, the film keeps a steady pace of excitement and comedy as the boys get mixed up with real spies and FBI agents.

Final note: the photography. Oh my. I can't begin to tell you how much I adore the '60s in black and white. It's so very... '60s gorgeous. Beyond cool. I think the first time I really noticed it (and started to fall in love) is when I saw part of Goodbye Again (1961) on TV. Since then, other movies have just fed the obsession. Love With the Proper Stranger takes it to a whole new level. Mmh. Yup. Gorgeous. Like the dress!

Who Was That Lady? is a good movie that I would definitely recommend to anyone who likes '60s comedies, Tony Curtis, Janet Leigh, and, of course, Dean Martin.

No comments: