Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Dino is certainly the best part in it

Hey pallies, likes regular readers know, we have been featurin' a ton of great back posts featurin' our most beloved Dino as Matt Helm. Well, today, we gets to feature a very recent blog (September 30, 2011) post puttin' the accent on Helmer numero uno, "The Silencers."

From the blog "Haphazard Stuff," the resident blogger has declared that this flick is "A Candidate For Sexiest Credit Sequence Ever!"....and indeed dem openin' credits featurin' dancer Miss Cyd Charisse are likes the hottest.

Seems that this blogger is a real bonder with the Bond series, and only recently has had the opportunity to partake of their first Dino-Helmer-caper...and their impression is right on the Dino-mark..."Dino is certainly the best part in it," and proclaim that they're "certainly planning on continuing watching the rest of the films."

Likes I certainly hopes they do 'cause they are in the greatest of great Dino-treats with numero duo, "Murders' Row"...in my humblest of humblest Dino-opinions, the bestest of the best of the Helmer capers!

It is so so cool to read of a pallie who has after all these years gotten to gets their first Dino-taste of our most beloved Dino as spyguy Matt Helm. I'm sure they will get more and more Dino-addicted as they enjoys more Dino-viewin' pleasure!

So, thanks to the dude who calls "Haphazard Suff" their home and for sharin' their Dino-impressions of their first view of "The Silencers." Just goes to prove likes that it is never too late to grow in deep, pure, and true Dino-devotion. To view this in it's original format, likes just clicks on the tag of this Dino-message! Dino-delightedly, DMP


Haphazard Stuff

Friday, September 30, 2011

1966's The Silencers - A Candidate For Sexiest Credit Sequence Ever!

The 1960's was the decade of the spy film thanks to our pal Bond, James Bond. There were countless imitation spy movies that came out in the wake of the popularity of the 007 series. One of them was the Matt Helm films.

Starring Dean Martin, Matt Helm was an American spy spoof of the Bond series. Armed with plenty of gadgets, gorgeous girls and Dino songs popping up throughout his adventures, Matt Helm ended up starring in four films from 1966 to 1969.

Being a Bond fan I had always heard of the Helm films, but never got around to watching them. I always thought Dino was one of the coolest cats ever (who didn't), a silly spy spoof is something I'm always up to seeing and the 60's with the gorgeous girls and the Vegas era music for me will never go out of style.

I finally got to watch the first Helm film - The Silencers. I thought it was ok. Dino is certainly the best part in it, but there are some funny gags, really silly gadgets and Dino gets a nice joke in aimed at Frank Sinatra (you'll just have to see it). It's certainly not a serious movie, but I don't think they ever planned it to be. Stella Stevens got on my nerves after awhile though, but I'm certainly planning on continuing watching the rest of the films.

For essentially what I thought was a pretty disposable film I probably wouldn't bother bringing it up or recommending it to anyone, unless your a spy film fanatic. And in that case you 've probably already seen it.

No the reason I bring up this film is because the opening title sequence had my mouth drop and my eyes open.

Dancer Cyd Charisse who is credited as a "guest star" opens the film lip synching the title song performed by Vikki Carr while performing an incredibly sexy strip-tease style dance. I'm so ashamed of myself that I've just stumbled onto this sequence now!

I really wish her number went on longer.....

Since the film was released in 1966 there is no nudity, but that doesn't stop the the number from being one of the sexiest I've seen in a long time. It certainly shows how talented Charisse was and how incredibly sexy she could be. She just oozed sex appeal. This was no young innocent girl dancing, but a real woman! And I don't say that because she was forty-four years old when she filmed this scene, but because she clearly could just work her thing! I can easily imagine if I had been twelve and seen this I would never have forgotten it! I don't doubt when the young kids decided to to see this spy film and saw this opening it left quite an impression on them.

As for the film itself.....eh it's ok. The best thing about it is Dino and Charisse's opening number. Maybe I'll like the second Helm film Murderer's Row a bit more.

As for now The Silencer's made me wonder - Why don't movies have opening credits like this anymore!

2 comments:

CarolMR said...

Off-topic, but - RIP, Steve Jobs, who was a Dino fan.

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, likes Miss Carol, if it's 'bout Dino, it is likes never off topic..in fact there are one or two Dino-posts here that mention Mr. Job's devotion to our Dino...may he rest in peace...keeps lovin' our Dino!