Saturday, August 10, 2013

it was Dean Martin presents Engelbert Humperdinck

Hey pallies, likes ilovedinomartin  has shared this testimony of our most beloved Dino's great great kindness to fellow entertainer Mr. Engelbert Humperdinck, but likes it never hurts such a wonderous Dino-tale 'gain.  Today, from the pages of the web presence of "Las Vegas Weekly" comes an essay scribed by none other then Mr. Humperdinck tagged, "IT’S BEEN AN UNBELIEVABLE JOURNEY."

Recently playin' in our Dino's playground, 'Vegas Baby 'Vegas, Engelbert  now 75 years of age, was reminiscin' on his amazin' life as a singer. Likes as a  powerful part of his "unbelievable journey" he has shared the huge huge boost that our great man gave to him.  It is always always so so refreshin' to share a true life story of how our amazin' Dino helped 'nother entertainer to make it to the top.

Below is a brief portion of Mr. Humperdinck's prose that puts the accent on our Dino as well as a clip from our great man's great show that features these two great crooners together havin' a bit of fun on the Dino-show.  ilovedinomartin salutes the folks at "Las Vegas Weekly" for havin' Engelbert share his journey, and specially to this great talent for sharin' his great great affection for our most most beloved Dino.  To read the whole article, simply clicks on the tag of this here Dino-gram.  Dino-ever, DMP



Changing my name was the only chance I had at making it. When you try to come back into the business after being off and being rejected again, I had to change a lot of things. I knew that, so I watched The Beatles and their hairstyles. They had an image, so I decided to dye my hair really, really black, grow my sideburns really long and had a little flicker in the back. It was the start of my image, and then when my manager Gordon Mills gave me the name of Engelbert Humperdinck, I thought I was going to fall off the stool.

I said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He said, “Well, it belonged to a German composer, and he’s dead, so you’ve got it now!” So I told him, “Alright, don’t lose your temper, I’m just asking a question.” It was difficult because it’s hard to spell, it’s hard to pronounce, and everyone called me Pumpernickel. Eventually, I broke through and I came back, and “Release Me” was born.

Dean Martin could never say it right, speaking of which, he’s the one who is responsible for me being in Las Vegas. He took a shine to me when I first began, when I first signed with the Riviera, Dean had a piece of that hotel. For the first time in his life, he put his name on the marquee for an artist, it was Dean Martin presents Engelbert Humperdinck. That was the start of my career in Las Vegas.

No comments: